Anxiety

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Let's make that like 1 1/2 cheers...

I wanted to complain here, but the only thing I could really think to complain about was myself. I'm not ecstatically excited about my new job anymore. It is a really nice entry-level job with good pay and great benefits. I have an office with a closed door and everyone is very friendly. So why could I possibly be unhappy?

As I think I have said in posts before, I'm kind of an acquired taste (like fine wine or squeeze cheese). I'm usually quiet, but genuine, or else I'm just sarcastic and obnoxious. So trying to be outgoing, charming and charismatic in order to build relationships is rough for me. I feel awkward calling 200 team captains for the third time in a week in order to arrange the drop off of appreciation pickles at their homes or places of business. I feel weird striking up a conversation with anyone who works in any business that eventually leads to me asking them for money or gifts. I can't sell shoes to snakes or ice cubes to Eskimo's or DSL to elderly ladies who don't know what it is.

The bottom line is, I'm not sure that I'm their girl. So what now?

3 comment(s):

Dare I say it? Welcome to the real world :-) You have inherited dominant genes for idealism that I fear will always affect your ability to accept the status quo. I'm not saying that this a bad or wrong thing, it just has the potential for a chronically conflicted state of being (i.e. me :-) Hang in there! I want to think that somewhere out there among your pickle prospects is someone who will recognize your gifts and talents and snatch you away from your current predicament.

By Blogger Mark A Hanna, at 8:37 AM  

I read your whole entire blog and all i have to say is why pickles?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:05 AM  

Because they say "We'd be in a pickle without you..."

I don't get it either...

By Blogger Rachel, at 4:09 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home