Anxiety

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Everybody do the limbo!

Limbo:

(1) According to some Roman Catholics, limbo describes the temporary status of the souls of good persons who died before the resurrection of Jesus, and the permanent status of the unbaptised who die in infancy (without having committed any personal sins, but without having been freed from original sin).

Limbo comes from the latin limbus meaning a hem or an edge or a boundary. While "limbo" is often popularly understood to be a "place where souls go", the term also describes and reflects theological uncertainty. As such, limbo is not part of the Catholic religion's official doctrine (compare purgatory, which is a part of Roman Catholic doctrine). Official Church teaching remains that the status of these souls (who don't seem to deserve hell, yet cannot follow the divinely-revealed path to heaven) is in limbo – in other words, their fate cannot be determined by any but God.

(2) A novelty dance that originated on the island of Trinidad. The dancer moves to a Caribbean rhythm, then leans backward and dances under a horizontal stick without touching it. When several dancers compete, the stick is gradually lowered until only one dancer - who has not touched the stick or the floor - remains.

(3) In Dungeons and Dragons, fantasy role-playing game, Limbo or more fully, the Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo, is a chaotic neutral-aligned plane of existence. It exists as one of a number of alignment-based Outer Planes that form part of the standard Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) cosmology, used in the Planescape and Greyhawk campaign settings, and the Forgotten Realms campaign setting before 3rd Edition (when it was quietly replaced in a retcon with a new cosmology).

It is a place of pure chaos where everything is in constant motion and change, especially the landscape, which can shift unpredictably and randomly rolls over upon itself like liquid. Very few places in Limbo are stable enough for normal travel.


First off, Wikipedia is fun! Secondly, this is kind of how I'm feeling about everything right now. Sitting in an apartment full of boxes, waiting for the phone to ring regarding one of the many jobs in which I'm in one of the various stages of applying, and hoping that besides obvious weather and things-to-do considerations, we're as happy in Phoenix as we have been in Flagstaff.

For those of you who know me well, you know that I simply cannot stand not knowing things. And now, to have this many small things up in the air in addition to the normal meaning of life considerations that constantly drift through my head, it is driving me absolutely crazy. AND Steve already packed the third season of Scrubs, so there's no relief in sight.

But try as I might not to get excited (because that's when things go wrong and disappoint you), I still feel hopeful about what lies ahead.

2 comment(s):

I too have a problem with the not knowing and I have learned that it is something that we all must deal with. I know that offers no help and even as I type this there is one word that is running through my head...LAME! I say let's show uncertainty a thing or too by going out and bingeing on pizzookie...who's with me?!

By Blogger Unknown, at 6:09 PM  

I'll try again to sneak past your spam filter. This is a very informative entry; I learned a few things. Thanks! However, I don't think you're in limbo anymore, Toto. I'm assuming that you've already been hired by someone today, and I know how perfect your new apartment is. As far as Ali's suggestion to go on a pizzookie binge...bring it on (not intended in the same spirit for which King George has recanted :-)

By Blogger Mark A Hanna, at 3:51 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home