Anxiety

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Too Cool for Flagstaff...

I have come up with yet another reason to be disenchanted with Flagstaff. When I move, I may have nothing to write about, so enjoy these last nine months of whining! You'll miss it when its gone...

I just took a quiz to see what "Underground Scene Stereotype" I am and it came back that I am Indie. I supposedly discover all the bands before they become mainstream and really know my stuff. While I can't say that that's true, that is something I aspire towards.

But it is really hard to be cutting edge in Flagstaff! How am I supposed to know about the hot new bands with no local shows and Michelle Branch filling all radio airwaves 24 hours a day.

This thought was reinforced when Steve and I watched the VMAs. Of course we knew Green Day and The Killers, but some of the other songs I had never even heard of before. So not only do I not know bands before they become mainstream, I don't even know bands that have been on MTV for six months.

So, I have created a new list of criteria that the place we move to after graduation must meet:

1. It must NOT snow ten months out of the year.
2. It must have a functional Target (Greatland preferred).
3. It must have a thriving local music scene.

And some preferences:

1. An American Apparel
2. Some place with a half-baked cookie-like dessert
3. A baseball team (because it has to be better live than on TV, right?)
4. Ikea

I'll be sure to bring my list to all job interviews that I have next spring/summer.

5 comment(s):

I can't imagine living in a place with out a Target. In fact, I can't imagine living in a place where I don't have a choice as to which Target to go to.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 AM  

Don't worry about the music scene on MTV...it's mostly crap now anyways...and by crap I mean rap and r&b. If you are looking for undiscovered bands...watch subterranean (spelling?) on MTV2 on Sunday nights...some of it is some pretty weird stuff but other than that its pretty cool. Or you can stream The Edge 103.9 on the internet.

By Blogger Unknown, at 10:27 AM  

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm feeling less uncool and disconnected already.

By Blogger Rachel, at 1:29 PM  

How could we have known how moving to Las Vegas was going to spoil you so?

By Blogger Mark A Hanna, at 9:41 AM  

I love the new formatting...it's pretty.

By Blogger Unknown, at 10:17 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home