Anxiety

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The In-Laws

When it came to in-laws, I had extremely high expectations. My parents' families got along well, holidays together went smoothly, and there weren't any blowout fights (at least that I know of). So when Steve and I ended up being the two people sitting in the Cowden lobby on Sunday afternoons to call our families, I was really excited to meet everyone that he called.

Then somewhere between Flagstaff and Phoenix on my way to meet them, excitement turned to terror. What if they didn't like me? What if I didn't like them? What if they thought I wasn't good enough? What if they thought I was too short/tall/fat/skinny or had a disproportionately sized head? By the time I got to the restaurant, I was completely terrified.

But to my great relief, Steve's family has proved to be really amazing. They are all kind, genuine people who made me feel at home right from the very beginning. They are a great family that I am excited to become a part of, and I can only hope Steve still feels the same way about my family after a whole summer with them.

This may not seem that extraordinary, but it really is. There are 6 billion people in the world, and most of them can't get along. There is conflict in the Middle East, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and sometimes my house looks like WWIII is about to begin. So I just wanted to say that I recognize and appreciate how lucky I am.

That being said, I'm sure that Michelle, Kim and Allison would be completely fine if I picked slightly unconventional bridesmaid dresses, right?

Ok, maybe not that unconventional, but I did like something like this. Bec and I both tried it on and really like it. It's a flattering length and shape and I think it would look good on everyone invovled. It may require a little bit of Mystic Tanning... But nothing is for sure and feedback is always good.

Ok, I think that's all I have to say for now. And that really wasn't all just sucking up so you'll like the dress. Really.

4 comment(s):

That's cute...now all I have to do is hit the gym and tanning booth and I will be good to go. I can't wait for you to "officially" be apart of our family. I say officially because it already semms like you have been in our family for years. Although, it did take me a while to get used to the size of you head...I mean MY GOD! Just Kidding Rachel.

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:01 AM  

I'm sure Josh likes the dress, too, but I actually wrote the comment above. Just wanted to clear up any confusion or possible rumors that Josh wears women's clothing.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM  

And for a second there I was flattered that Josh referred to me as his brother.

By Blogger Steve, at 12:25 PM  

So I guess at least 3 out of 5 bridesmaids agree. Almost as good as Trident!

By Blogger Rachel, at 9:54 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home