Anxiety

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Simplicity

Recently, I've had a revelation that I would like to simplify my life to the extreme. This revelation didn't come from some spiritual insight or a profound philosophy reading. It came from helping Steve's family move over the past two weekends. Don't get me wrong, I actually had a lot of fun spending time with everyone and I can't say that I was anywhere close to winning the "Person Who Carried Most Stuff" award, but it was epiphany-inducing to see how many possessions everyone accumulates through normal living. I started thinking about everything in my closet at home. Our walk-in closet is full, and besides clothes, I couldn't name a single thing in there. What is all of it? Do I use any of it? Why do I have it?

For those of you who have known me a long time, this attitude is a definite change from the norm. I was the girl who kept t-shirts 5 years after I last wore them just because I really liked them. I have an $8 pink flamingo clock under my bed that I just didn't quite feel like parting with. I kept my Vans until they had holes worn through them "just in case."

Some of the "junk" I kept was sentimental, and therefore more justifiable. I don't know if I'll ever part with my change purse that looks like a suede vest that my Grandma Jean gave me after her trip to Michigan. My AP History notebook seemed sentimental at the time, but now I think that's an experience I'd rather forget. There's a very fine line between sentimental object and excess baggage.

But getting rid of things is risky; its all trial and error. Sometimes you'll have a box that goes with you for three moves untouched, and sometimes you'll throw away a birthday card you really you wish you hadn't. My goal is just to be better about asking myself if someone in the world could use this t-shirt/flamingo clock/pair of shoes more than I could. Its easier to let go when you know your "junk" could really mean a lot to someone else.

Unfortunately, my simplicity revelation has coincided with Steve's "let's keep it but paint it green" revelation. So, if you happen to visit and all we have left in the apartment is one green coffee table, you will know why.

3 comment(s):

There was one incidence where I wanted to paint something green. I was being contemporary. Don't dare put me into a category where someone holds onto a hideous flamingo clock.

By Blogger Steve, at 3:53 PM  

Thanks sweetie. I love you too.

By Blogger Rachel, at 3:55 PM  

As soon as I finished laughing, I printed this out to send to Grandma Jean :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home