Anxiety

Monday, November 15, 2004

Reconciliation

So I am trying very hard to finally let go of all the anger I had about the election. What's done is done, and while I will never accept Bush as being a good President or a good man, I must shift my focus to what I personally can change. In my previous entry, when I mentioned abortion, I should have simply said that I respect and understand a woman like Mother Theresa who was against abortion, and also war, the death penalty, and apathy towards those starving to death. She truly believed every life was precious and wanted to preserve life in all of its forms. I would never, ever challenge that mindset. What I cannot understand is someone who believes abortion is the worst evil, but thinks it is cool that we have killed tens of thousands of Iraqis. Someone who fashionably wears a pro-life button, but doesn't want to deal with the children in Africa who are growing up as oprhans, many of them with the HIV virus. Apparently once they're born, they are someone else's problem. I am confused by the notion that some lives are precious and others are just target practice. I believe all life is precious and worthy of respect. I'm pretty sure that W believes that white, male, protestant, straight, upper-class lives are worthy of respect, but beyond that I have my doubts. What I must remember is that 49% of the country also sees the error in that kind of thinking. I have 50 million friends out there that I can work with over the next four years to try to make a difference. There are most likely even some fiscal conservatives who disagree with the moral madates and falsely entered wars who see the error in the extreme right's ways. The administration has nowhere to go but down, but we the people are capable of being better. And that right there is the only reason I can sleep at night.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home