Anxiety

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Baby Apple

If you haven't already heard, Steve and I have a new little addition to our will-be family. An adorable little bundle of joy that we picked up from the Apple store last week. Now you may think that comparing a baby to a computer is inappropriate, but making a major purchase like this means a lot of responsibility!

As soon as we got the little g5 home, it immediately took all of our attention. Since it talks to us (creepy!) we had to think of a name to give it commands. "Computer" just seemed so impersonal. We tried out Mossimo, Granny Smith, and Pop and Bob. We stuck with Bob (as in "Bob, tell me a joke" or "Bob, open my browser") because that's what it seemed to respond best to.

Within seconds I was already getting ultra-protective, making sure that everyone was supporting the keyboard and cradling the mouse properly. Mostly I just didn't want anyone else to touch it, but everyone seemed so excited...

Then that night, the worst happened! It did something that we didn't know how to fix. We thought music was lost and we freaked. We spent an hour online with tech support, and finally got the issue worked out, but for a while it was touch and go.

Now, I know the computer is nowhere near the responsibility/reward of having a child. Not even as much as a puppy, but probably a little more than a hamster. I just don't know how parents do it! But now if you'll excuse me, I have to go read Bob a bedtime story.

3 comment(s):

You forgot to mention that with our computer came a free ipod mini. It was a pleasant surprise considering we "misplaced" ours awhile ago. I found it appropriate that I had our computer read your blog to me. Yes, it was very creepy. Like josh with robots, this is the reason I find little time to update.

By Blogger Steve, at 8:48 PM  

I hate you both with your shiny macintosh's.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 AM  

Now you finally know how Mom and I felt on January 18, 1984 :-D

Love,
Dad

By Blogger Mark A Hanna, at 8:52 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home