Anxiety

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Pacifist Kickboxing...

The first time my kickboxing teacher told us to picture a face when we were punching, I was quite unnerved. I'm a person who advocates peaceful solutions. I have never truly hit anyone in my life, although Becca and I have both gotten in a couple of good open-handed smacks. (Sidenote: My dad will try to tell you I gave him a huge bruise once, but don't believe it.) Anywho, the teacher asked "Do you have someone to picture?" Everyone laughed. I thought it was terrible.

But now as the classes pass by, the face has started appearing. It's not really anyone, just a non-descript face. So when the teacher says, "This is how you break a nose," I pretend to break a nose. Or if she says, "Knock out teeth," I shove my elbow straight into the mouth of my imaginary opponent.

Mostly this has me feeling really disgusted with myself but a little part of me feels like Buffy.

7 comment(s):

rachel, rachel, rachel. have i taught you nothing.... its not a matter of hating people; its a matter of not-hating a select few. i find its the most p.c. (re: previous post-screw you!) thing to do. hate everyone equally. it works out well... you are the one person who can truly make me laugh. thats why i love you. i can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you.... oh, wait..... sorry stevo.... with you and stevo. is that better? haha. you seriously have to teach me kick boxing and the rest of that healthy be fit stuff... then we can be a crime fighting duo! that'd be fun. miss you. mean it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 PM  

I had similar reservations when shooting at human silhouette targets when I was a cop. Fortunately, I never had to put my expert marksmanship to the test in real life.

Incidentally, why should no one believe that you gave me a severe bruise that lasted for weeks? Do you really have such a problem with the truth? :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:18 PM  

mr. hanna- i can vouch for the horrible markings your daughter left on you. sorry rach. i figure this is the perfect time to get on your dad's good side! mr. hanna- you are my favorite! we should get matching vespas!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 PM  

Thank you, Nate! You are truly the son I never had. I'm sure that you are aware of the moratorium on my Vespa purchase that has been imposed by Rachel and her mother, but now we both have something to do after the wedding.

By Blogger Mark A Hanna, at 11:11 AM  

whats a moratorium? are you calling me names??

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 PM  

If you are Buffy...is Steve Spike or Angel...or Riley? Personally, I think Steve is more like Willow.

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:02 AM  

Yeah, I don't think Steve works as Spike or Angel. Maybe a little Xander-ish before he got all funny-looking or lost an eye...

By Blogger Rachel, at 2:46 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home