Anxiety

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

MASH for your most deeply held beliefs…

Out of all the things that trouble me on a daily basis, the quest for spiritual truth is probably always at the forefront. I think a lot of people experience some sort of doubt in the area of spirituality or religion, but I find it plaguing me as I desperately hoping to find the “right” answer.

So when I stumbled across this “What spiritual type are you?” quiz, I thought I’d give it a shot. Hey, if a 25 question survey can tell me what I think, then more power to it. But what I found is that all of the questions it asked were the questions that I haven’t been able to answer. The only help it provided was narrowing it down to four choices and making me pick one.

And then what was my final result?

Spiritual Straddler – One foot in traditional religion, one foot in free-form spirituality

Thanks again for being so helpful, Internet. I could have told you that I had no idea what I thought before I took the quiz. I guess I need to remember that there is value in the search. And as hard as it may be, I need to recognize that I may never have all the answers. Even if God appeared to me right now and we chatted about the meaning of life and the afterlife and what my individual purpose was, I’d probably check myself into the loony bin immediately following, because in my head God and I just shared white chocolate mochas and waxed philosophical.

I do miss talking about spirituality though. It was so much a part of my growing up, and now it's really not on my radar as much. Hearing other people's views of the world and who God was and why we were here was always very comforting to me, even if their views were much different than mine... It's kind of like when you hear a lot of different people's views of some person you've never met, and then when you finally meet them, you can see all those different aspects. Or something like that.

3 comment(s):

I think that Grandpa gave you a copy of his book, "An Endless Search". Within its pages I think you'll find some comfort from learning that Truth cannot be acquired but it discovered in the quest for it. I am blessed to have you as my daughter.

By Blogger Mark A Hanna, at 6:49 PM  

I know you said you viewed these in one of your classes, but Dad and I have been watching the series where Bill Moyers interviews Joseph Campbell - I believe it's called The Power of Myth. Anyway, I found it to be very enlightening and in many ways reasuring. We're going to purchase the set, and we'll be glad to share :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:09 PM  

I just completed the quiz and received this score: 66; "60 - 69
Old-fashioned Seeker -- Happy with my religion but searching for the right expression of it." Who am I to argue? I do know that nearly all of my answers were not among the multiple choices provided.

By Blogger Mark A Hanna, at 11:40 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home