Anxiety

Monday, February 12, 2007

Maybe the first time opening my big mouth led to something useful...

Over the weekend, I asked Steve if there were any organizations that planned mission trips that weren't really mission trips (or more specifically, a mission-type trip where you actually help people instead of just handing out Bibles like the Starvin' Marvin South Park). Something like a very brief stint in the peace corps. Since we already wanted to do some international travel, I figured this would be cool on a couple of levels:

  1. You'd get to know people from the culture you were visiting, and not just on the superficial, talking-to-one-concierge-that-speaks-English-at-the-Marriott-where-you're-staying kind of way.
  2. If you spend a lot of money traveling, it won't feel quite as selfish.
  3. There would be organizers who would know where hospitals were, what shots you needed, how to get your paperwork, what kind of bug spray works best, and they might even have emergency PB & J if I can't handle Malawian food for two weeks straight.

So I did a little research in the last 15 minutes or so and found out that Habitat for Humanity Global Village organizes trips all over the world to build houses. I did something similar a few summers ago (well, like 8 years) and it was a lot of fun. It was very rewarding to see a house actually come together and know that you might be a tiny bit responsible for that (I mostly painted and mixed cement). I'm still looking at what some other options might be, but I'm excited that this type of thing exists!

1 comment(s):

You and Steve are a remarkable couple in every way. At risk of succumbing to one of the mortal sins, I am very proud of you both!

By Blogger Mark A Hanna, at 6:45 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home